Sansui BA-2000 Rebuild and Modification

Here is a Sansui BA-2000 that has been rebuilt using driver and ops boards designed by VZaudio.  These are updated BA-3000 boards using modern devices.

Read the article

Posted in diy | Leave a comment

Blackbird/Rebuild-Now BlueBird?

I have used all the components from the “Blackbird” speakers that I built in 2010. The original cabinets were just to heavy an hard to place in most rooms so a few years ago I built some temporary cabinets for them. Several months ago I came across a photo of a pair of Sony G333es. I liked the cabinet and thought it might work for the Blackbird components.

Read more about the Bluebird Build

Posted in diy, speakers | Leave a comment

New Projects and Updates.

With work and my on going audio projects I have neglected my WordPress Audio page but I have documented several of the amp and speaker projects I have been working on and will be posting them over the next weeks.

I have restored and modified a Sansui AU-999. Restored a  AU-9500 a CA-2000 and a BA-2000. I will be posting photos and text soon.  I am currently modifying a BA-2000 with updated driver and OPS design by a DIYAudio forum member. He shared the gerbers with me and I had boards made.  The driver and OPS he updated are for the BA-3000 but I have it installed in the BA-2000 chassis with a few chassis modifications. You can see the discussion on his design here

I also have rebuilt the Blackbird speakers twice.  The first time because after a move I couldn’t find a place for the large original cabinet.  The second build I haven’t completed yet but the cabinet is based on Sony’s G333ES. I should have that finished in a month..I think.

 

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Tubelab SPP with Paralleled 6HB6

img_2579 Tubelab SPP with Parallel 6HB6img_2580

I used a SPP board from Tubelab and modified it for 6HB6’s. I added another board so I could parallel the 6HB6’s but then it sat on my bench for nearly a year. I took 2 weeks off over Christmas and built a chassis and cover for it. This is the result.

I used toroidal transformers from Amplimo, at the time the Euro and the dollar weren’t to far apart so I bought them for about what Edcor transformers would have cost and amazingly shipping was under $30. The 400mA power transformer fits nicely under the chassis.

I have only listened to it for about a half hour with my shop speakers and I’m pleased with the results.

I still have to clean up the aluminum and a few other details but it looks like the sketch I drew nearly a year ago. Its never going to be perfect like a cnc built chassis but I’m getting older and easier to please. The Japanese have a word for it Wabi-sabi “beauty that is imperfect and transient.” I’m going to go with that.

I have bought a couple different boards from George at Tubelab, they are first rate.

Posted in audio electronics, diy | Leave a comment

Sansui QA-7000

 

 

IMG_2272

I had been thinking about the new 2-way Accuton speaker project, Catherine named “Tall Blondes with Beautiful Voices”, which will require 4 channels of amplification, one for each driver and I remembered the quad amplifiers from the 70’s. Especially the Sansui Quads but I had never heard of the QA-7000.

This is one one of the best looking amps I have had. The black anodized face, aluminum trimmed knobs with a small aluminum tabs on the 2 piece knobs. First class construction and detail.

The amplifier does sound pretty good but it is over 40 years old so I will be replacing all the electrolytic capacitors, the speaker relay etc.  I will document this when it’s completed. I really want to use this amp with the new “Tall Blondes” but I have other amps that sound very good so we’ll see. The QA-7000 is so gorgeous though.

The QA-7000 page.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

The Tall Blondes w/ Bella Voce

I built a prototype/test cabinet for the Accuton speaker. I like the look of stacked plywood construction.  I have seen it called paralamb or translamb construction. I cut templates, then cut pieces close to size and fastened the template to them.  I then used a router table and a pattern bit to cut the pieces to the template.  You can see this here.  It took a few days and after the glue up it turned out ok and good enough for the test cabinet but not for the final speaker.

I found a small CNC shop near me that  cut the pieces for the final cabinets. He included indexing holes so everything lines up perfectly. Well worth the USD 185 it cost.

UPDATE

IMG_2107

Posted in diy, speakers | Leave a comment

New Accuton Speaker Project

I have collected parts and designed a translam speaker cabinet for a 2-way using an Accuton C30-6-358 cell tweeter, Accuton C173-6-191E mid/woofer and 2 Accuton P173 passives.  I will be using the crossover function included in Channel D’s Pure Music player.

Please stop back for progress updates.

image

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Opus 5.0 – A Modern Mullard

Opus 5.0

 

 

The Opus 5.0 a modern Mullard amplifier using 2 KT88 output tubes per channel. The circuit was designed by SGregory and DIYAudio friends. I contacted him 3 years after he designed the amplifier and he told me it’s his main amp and he uses it daily. That is a stable, dependable amp. Just what I needed to satisfy my tube audio curiosity once and for all.  read more…

 

 

 

 

 

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Jungson Hedo WG1 200 Integrated Amplifier

IMG_3232

The Jungson Hedo is a 200W per channel class A integrated amplifier. Beautiful, powerful and a joy to listen to. read more

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Tubelab SE

This amp was built using Tubelab.com circuit board.  This version uses type 45 triodes as outputs and mosfets for driver support.

 

Read more

Posted in audio electronics, diy | Leave a comment