I had restored my AU-11000 and the only thing remaining was the power supply filter caps. There are 4 10000uf, 63v screw terminal capacitors. I could find a few on manufacturers sites but no venders selling them. The ones I found available were $56 each plus shipping and the terminal spacing wasn’t correct but I am sure they could have been made to work. The real thing stopping me was I had 2 Chemi-Con KMH capacitors of the correct value sitting in my drawer and 2 more could be bought for $10. Then I remembered a few years ago considering rebuilding some multi-section capacitors for a tube amp I had. It involves cutting the bottom off the can, removing the insides and replacing it with a new capacitor. Since the new capacitors are smaller, they fit easily. Here is what I did.
1/ Cut the can about 1/2″ above the bottom with a pipe cutter.
2/ The coiled plates of these capacitors are set in wax so I used a heat gun to soften it a little. Then by moving it back and forth I was able to remove it .
3/ The circumference the old plate coil and the new capacitor were the same so with a little heat applied to the new capacitor it slid into the old spot. Everyone gets a little luck now and then.
4/ Solder wires onto the terminals of the new capacitor.
5/ Drill a hole through the connecting rivets for the wires.
6/ Feed the wires through the holes.
7/ Position the bottom with the terminals on the can and secure it with hot glue.
8/ Cut and strip the wires to the proper length and fasten under the screws.
It took me about 3 hours to do the first one and about 40 minutes to do the last 3. I had considered soldering to the rivets but it just took to much heat and I noticed the rivet wasn’t really tight, it could be turned, so I thought it wouldn’t be a good connection. The seams can’t be seen under the clamps.